OneDrive is a tool which makes your files accessible on any computer, tablet or phone. It makes easy to send files between devices and backup these files in case you lose them from a local device. You can take a picture from your phone, edits it in your tablet and access it on your computer to publish online. You can continuously share files with your friends so they can work on the same project as you.
Anyone who has a Microsoft account can access it with 5GB free space. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, then you can access OneDrive at onedrive.live.com. But the best way is to install OneDrive in your PC, tablet or smartphone.
Here are some ways to install and use OneDrive in your device:
- Set up OneDrive in Windows 10: The best thing about OneDrive is that it comes pre-installed in Windows 10. So you don’t have to download it. If you signed in to Windows with a Microsoft account then you don’t even have to log in to OneDrive. You just have to click the up-arrow to expand the notification area on the taskbar, and then click the icon that simulates a cloud. A pop-up window will appear showing the recent synced files.
- Choose which folders are synced: If you logged in to OneDrive, you can also change which folders are synced to your PC by right-clicking OneDrive from the notification area and clicking settings. Go to Account tab, click ‘Choose folders’ then select which OneDrive folders are available to you.
Now, open File Explorer, and then click OneDrive from the sidebar and then you’ll see all the folders you have opted to sync. You can open and browse these file anytime even when you are offline. When you delete anything from OneDrive, the changes are synced in all other devices.
- Backup local files to OneDrive: If you want an automatic backup for your Pictures and Documents then, right-click on OneDrive in the notification area, go to settings. Go to Auto Save tab, and then use the drop-down menus to choose OneDrive.
- Share files from OneDrive: To share a file or folder in OneDrive, right-click the File Explorer and select ‘Share a one drive link’. The link will be copied in your clipboard so you can paste it to any program or web page.
- Restore deleted files: If you have deleted a folder or file, then you will be able to restore it using OneDrive, right-click OneDrive in the notification area and select ‘View online’. Then click ‘Recycle bin’ on the left sidebar, select the items and then click Restore. Your files are automatically cleared after 30 days, but if you are using school or work account then the files will be saved for 93 days.
- Remove OneDrive from your system: If you don’t want to use OneDrive then the easiest way to do so is log out the Windows 10 app. For this, right-click the app in the notification area, then go to settings and unlink the PC. A local copy of the files still is saved, which you have to delete manually.
It comes with the OS, so only some versions of Windows 10 will allow uninstalling it. To check this, go to start menu, type ‘Add or remove program’ and click the results. Go to ‘Apps and features’ scroll down to Microsoft OneDrive click it and then select Uninstall.
So these are some ways to use OneDrive on your computer if you want any more details about OneDrive you can contact Microsoft Office 365 Support.