Thread gauges are some of the most important tools that can be used by us. These gages are also known as screw gauge or pitch gauge. As the name suggests, thread gauges are used to measure the pitch or the lead of the screw.
How to use thread gauges?
If you are making use of thread ring gauges, leaf gages or any other type of gauges, you need to make sure that you know what these gauges do.
The point is that every gauge stands for a particular specification does certain things and has certain limitations. You can measure the lead of the screw. However, it is fair to know that leaf gauges are the most versatile kind of gauges.
Other than this, thread ring gauges and another type of gauges should be used as per mating with the thread. The other thing that you need to know is that the screw that you are going to measure should fit the gauge properly.
Precautions to keep in mind:
While gauges are quite simple to make use of, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind when you use any kind of gauge.
If you are trying to make use of some sort of gauges, then here are some precautions to keep in mind:
- Make sure that you are using the correct type of gauges. Every gauge comes with a particular specification and limitation. Although leaf gauges are the most versatile ones, but the uses of other gauges are quite limited.
- Since gauges are delicate and are used to measure stationery objects, never make the mistake of measuring a moving object. Moving objects can move abruptly, stop all of a sudden and will not allow the gauge to settle properly, which will lead to damages.
- Gauges are made with various sharp edges and parts. However, you should be careful with them. Whenever you make use of gauges, be sure to be careful with them. The sharp ends are brittle and can break easily. Worse, they could cut you.
- Other than this, making use of oils to wash the gauge has been known as a good practice. If you are wondering why then here is the answer for you. Oils help you remove rust from the gauges and help you make use of the gauge properly.
- When you are making use of a gauge to measure the dimensions of certain areas, or you are trying to make use of the gauge properly, you need to remember to do so gently. Push the gauge into it carefully and measure the areas.
- Apart from general cleaning of the gauges, you need to make sure that you clean the various parts of the gauge as well. Keep your gauges clean and keep all of the portions of the gauge clean.
Other than this, you should wash your hands properly once you are done cleaning the gauges.