Today one of every two adults face hair problems like dandruff, itchy scalp, etc. Dandruff is a very common problem and there is nothing to be ashamed of and it shouldn’t affect one’s perception of oneself. It is a sign from the body that it needs to be taken care of. So, treating it becomes imperative. Dandruff is a skin condition that affects the scalp it demands to be treated like any other skin problem like acne, etc.
Dandruff is easily noticeable and symptoms too can be detected easily. Some of the most common symptoms are:
- White flakes: these flakes are harmless dead skin cells.
- Itchy scalp: it’s one of the first that appears before dandruff it is like a warning sign and should not be ignored.
- Dry scalp
- Oily scalp: it’s a common fallacy that people consider that only dry scalp causes dandruff but on the contrary oily scalp and dandruff are more recurring.
- Beard and eyebrow rashes
The exact cause of dandruff problems is not known but some common causes are listed down to prevent dandruff in the future. The causes can be:
- Oily skin
- Dry skin
- No shampoo routine
- Loads of stress
- Air pollutants
- Lack of proper nutrition intake
- Other environmental problems
- Alkaline hair products
- Excessive use of hair cosmetics
- Genetic problems.
As now the symptoms are clear one can understand the problem at one glance.
Now the main problem is how to treat dandruff, the first thing that comes to mind is using a shampoo for oily hair with dandruff or for dry hair whatever suits one best. But excessive use of chemical products may lead to other hair problems like whitening, hair fall, balding, etc. In such a case one can switch to natural home remedies for treating dandruff. Some effective home remedies are as follows:
- Using coconut oil as it is the best moisturizer available
- Using aloe vera gel on hair
- Tea tree oil
- Baking soda
- Egg white for hair
- And most importantly correcting your diet
If the problem persists one should not shy away from consulting a dermatologist as it may be serious. One can also use a medicated shampoo prescribed by the dermatologist.
Some of the key ingredients that shampoo contain are:
- Ketoconazole- it is an effective anti-fungal proven useful for treating dandruff
- Selenium Sulphide- Reduces the production of natural oils by a gland, therefore deterring oil accumulation.
- Zinc- It slows down the growth of yeast
- Salicylic acids
- Dandruff shampoo for oily hair
But one should use such products with caution and only on doctor’s recommendation as these could have side effects and situation may get out of hands. Also, that dandruff cannot be cured once it occurs it only can be prevented for some time.
And its high time that we get rid of the taboo associated with dandruff and not let it affect one’s self-esteem as it just as common as any other skin problem and is beyond one’s control. Dandruff has nothing to do with the hygiene of a person.